|Episode no.||Episode 9|
|Original airdate||14 October 2002 (BBC 2)|
|Written by|| Ricky Gervais |
|Directed by|| Ricky Gervais |
Party is the third episode of the second series of The Office.
There’s a birthday party in the office for Trudy, one of the women from the Swindon branch. One of her gifts is a pink plastic dildo that Tim hides in David Brent’s office after Rachel dares him. Meanwhile Gareth looks on and attempts to compete with Tim as the two flirt with Rachel. Tim takes the Swindon lot for a tour of the warehouse where Lee embarrasses Dawn by telling everyone she’ll “Get her milkers out for a tenner.” Dawn storms off while Tim and the Swindon lot stand in awkward silence. Two consultants, Ray and Jude from Cooper and Webb, offer David a position as an expert speaker for corporate training seminars. They also offer a job to Neil but he turns them down. Tim and Rachel continue to do practical jokes with Gareth; Rachel makes Gareth call David while she writes things for him to say. Dawn looks on as they laugh together and appears upset and neglected. Later, Dawn and Tim reunite with a practical joke where they glue Gareth’s phone down then call him. Even though it’s Dawn and Tim’s joke, Tim still ends up laughing and flirting with Rachel in the end, making Dawn feel left out again. Chris Finch shows up for the party and immediately starts to talk and joke with Neil. They make fun of David which leads to him telling an inappropriate joke about having sex with Fleetwood Mac. Awkward silence in the office ensues. After the party, Chris Finch winds up having sex with the birthday girl in the parking lot.
- David: You know that old thing, live fast die young? Not my way. Live fast, sure, live too bloody fast sometimes but die young? Die old.
- Rachel: You like that, don’t you? Is that because it looks like yours?
Tim: It’s identical. Well it’s not that size it’s very, very tiny but it is plastic.
Gareth: Mine’s massive and it ain’t made of plastic.
- David: Oh God, Cockles, Cocky, the big Cock. Next time you talk to him just ask him if he got the grass stains out of his trousers. Not in front of his wife.
- Ray: You don’t see heels like those much nowadays.
David: You can still find them.
- David: Ok everybody what am I doing in there with a dildo? She says it’s not hers, and I for one believe her.
- David: I prefer a flan.
- Chris Finch: I always do ‘em from behind if I don’t like their face.
- David: No I’d push the brother out of the room, and I’d get the other three, I’d bend them all over and I’d do the drummer, the lead singer, and that one who plays violen.
(Long pause, music stops, silence)
David: Oh see, your fault putting filth in people’s minds.
- Ian Botham - or “Beefy” is a former professional cricket player. Brent cites him as one of his influences and also references some controversies about him, including assault charges and his suspension for smoking marijuana. He also mentions Botham’s walk from John O’ Groats to Land’s End for charity.
- Alton Towers - a theme park and resort in Staffordshire, England. Brent says it is his biggest disappointment.
- Rory Bremner - a Scottish comedian who specializes in impressions. He is one of Brent’s three choices of people to have a working lunch with. The other two are the civil rights leader, Martin Luther King, and the Dalai Lama.
- For more images go to: Gallery:TheOffice_Party
|Series 1 Episodes:|| |
|Series 2 Episodes:|| |
|Main Characters:|| |
|Secondary Characters:|| |
Lee | Malcolm | "Oggy" | Rachel | Karen Roper |
|Minor Characters:|| |
Glynn | Gobbler | Jamie | Jeff | Jimmy the Perv | Joan | Oliver | Rowan | Sanj | Simon | Sheila |
Paul Shepherd | Tony | Trudy